Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My little guy....

Eli went in yesterday for his 9 month checkup. The greatest topic of discussion was his weight. If you've seen Eli then you know that he is a little guy, but I've never thought twice about it since he looks healthy and he wears the appropriate size clothing for his age.

His weight: 17.3 pounds. (20th percentile)

His weight may have went up since his 6 month appointment but the percentile had went down. Which means that he is not gaining enough weight... hence he needs more calories.
We go back for a weight check the end of April, if the percentile continues to go down.... I will need to supplement with formula. Which I am more than happy to do... it's just trying to give that boy a sippy of milk is rather difficult, and this is the same milk he drinks everyday Mine! I can't imagine trying to introduce something else.
In the meantime I'm just praying he begins to nurse better and eat more... bring on the pounds!

3 comments:

Susan J said...

I hear you! Both Micah & Caleb were on the small side (Caleb still is!) and trying to get them to drink anything else at that point was tough. He's still in the 20th percentile though...Micah was in the 10th and Caleb in the 3rd. Good luck and good eating, Eli! :)

Aunt Karen said...

Hey Em, I have heard that sometimes when you introduce the sippy to them, they won't drink from it if it has something familiar to them that they get a different way, in other words, your milk, that he is used to getting by nursing, he may not drink easily from a sippy. However, if you need to introduce formula, he may take it easier from the sippy and help him get used to drinking from one easier.
Hope he starts gaining and remains healthy.... just remember that there are several "little ones" in our family..... if he makes his own curve on the chart, usually that's an indication that they are still healthy, just going to be smaller kids... like Keely, she always made her own curve, and still does, yet she's not on any of the growth charts for her age, and hasn't been since before she turned 2 years old.

Jodie said...

Landon went for his WCC on Monday and he was 17 pounds too!