Friday, May 1, 2009

Life's Little Lesson...

When I was little I distinctly remember my siblings being oh so kind, as they were chasing me and throwing worms at me. I hated worms then and I still cringe at them now.

A couple of days ago Nathan was playing with a green suction ball outside. This is the kind of ball that will stick to windows, doors... because it is covered in small suction cups. Anyways, the ball ended up under the van and I told him that I wasn't crawling under the van, that he would have to wait until the next time we went somewhere, and then I would get his ball.

Yesterday we went to church, I forgot about the ball.

Today we headed to the grocery store, and as I was backing out I remembered the green suction ball under the van. So I retrieved the ball and handed it to Gracie. As I was getting ready to continue backing out, I hear Nathan say that there is a little worm on Gracie. I think at this point I stopped breathing... then I figured it was just something else. Nathan kept telling me about the little worm on Gracie, so I thought I must face the situation. As I climbed into the back seat to see the worm (shudder), I was truly praying that there was nothing there. Well, there was.... a little green caterpillar. In my opinion, just as bad as a worm! Eventually I coerced the little guy onto a piece of paper and set it free.

Afterwards, of course I just had that feeling of something crawling on me... there wasn't. And Nathan informed me, "Mommy, it was just a caterpillar. They're nice, they won't hurt you.". And I replied with, "Well then Nathan, next time you can take it off Gracie's pants.".

Although, I am not traumatized as I was as a child, I would still prefer to not touch or deal with any wiggly, squiggly little creature. Today I simply had no choice... or so I thought (next time maybe Nathan will speak up sooner and he can have the privilege of saving his sister from the mean ferocious caterpillar).

Lesson: Don't pick up little green suction balls that have been laying around outside for a couple of days in the spring. You never know what little creature may have found a new home there.

4 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

Oh man, ya got me rollin here Em!
Now you won't sleep tonight because you'll ream of little green worms!
hehe..you know I love you, right?

Anonymous said...

So funny!!!

Jennifer said...

I think that Greg was the one that chased you with the worms! Jonah just read your blog, too. He was cracking me up - reading with great expression and drama. :D

Aunt Karen said...

I seem to remember you chasing Greg around the table with a fork..... maybe it was paybacks for the worms? lol