Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A little crooked...

So, yesterday we had a 5.8 magnitude earthquake.  Oh, yes we felt it.  Yes, it was scary.  And yes, we are fine.  No damage at our house... nothing fell off a shelf, a cabinet or a bookcase.  Just a few crooked pictures.  The only repairs will have to made with a level.



When it happened I had just finished vacuuming one room and was about to go into the living room to finish up.  Eli was sitting in front of me on the carpet, Gracie was standing near him and Nathan was upstairs playing.  I honestly at first thought Nathan was jumping around up there like a lunatic.  Then I realized that if he was above where I was standing he would be in Eli's room and yet there was bits of old plaster falling in all the walls, even in the dining room and there is no room above the dining room.  Then for a second I thought well maybe there's something going on outside... some type of heavy construction.  But, there was no other sound then the rattling of the walls and things in my house.  I then realized it was an earthquake and snatched up Eli and Gracie, yelled for Nathan to come downstairs and we all stood in the bathroom doorway.

Bryant on the other hand was walking downtown DC towards his building and felt nothing.  Actually, most people that were outside when it happened didn't feel anything.  He heard fire alarms going off in the buildings (this is how they evacuated most buildings when it occurred, by pulling the fire alarms) and saw people running out of the buildings.  He immediately ran inside the building and to his office so he could call me.  Once he realized that I had felt it too and that there wasn't some type of attack on the Capitol, then he got ready to come home.  He said last night that he was actually kinda bummed that he didn't get to feel it.  He was hoping for an aftershock, but according to the news this morning those happened last night while we were sleeping.  I would say better luck next time but, an earthquake isn't something that most people (including us) look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad y'all are ok!